Why Go Synthetic Oil? | Penney Auto Body & Glass Vancouver

Why Go Synthetic Oil? | Penney Auto Body & Glass Vancouver

The Importance of Using a Synthetic Oil That Cleans

A cleaner engine is better protected and more responsive. All engines generate contaminants such as soot, carbon, and sulfuric and nitric acid are inevitable byproducts of the combustion process, and all of them end up in your motor oil, of varying levels.


So, how well does your motor oil clean the dirt and deposit your engine generates? This is where using a motor oil that helps keep engines cleaner than any leading synthetic motor oil comes into play.

Making the Switch to Full Synthetic Oil

The cost of synthetic oil is a bit higher than conventional motor oil, but that's due to the chemical makeup of it and all the benefits it offers. The base oil makes up nearly 80% of a motor oil formulation, and additives make up the remaining nearly 20%. The molecules in synthetic base oil have more consistent properties, while the molecules found in conventional base oil differ in shape and levels of impurity. Most new cars today use synthetic motor oil to help maintain performance and take it to the next level because they use base oil made from natural gas, which is purer than base oil made from crude oil. The engine will then experience the complete engine protection including cleaner pistons, better fuel economy, horsepower protection, unsurpassed wear protection, and extreme temperature performance.

Nine Synthetic Oil Myths

Myth 1:
Once you switch to synthetic oil, you can never switch back.


You can switch back and forth at any time. In fact, synthetic blends are simply a mixture of synthetic and conventional oils. It is advisable that you use the same oil for top-ups if needed, thereby giving you the best protection from the oil that you have chosen.

Myth 2: Synthetic motor oil is not compatible with conventional motor oil.

Not true. Motor oil labeled “synthetic blend” already has synthetic oil and conventional oil mixed together. 

Myth 3: If you use a good synthetic oil, you can change your oil less frequently.

Recommendations are made by the engine manufacturers. The point of using high-quality synthetic oil is to take better care of the engine and reduce deposit formation, which may reduce power, performance, and fuel economy – rather than extending the drain interval.

Myth 4: You shouldn’t use synthetic oil in an older vehicle.

Synthetic oils will enhance the engine protection in older vehicles, just as they do for new engines.

Myth 5: You should break in your engine with conventional oil before you start using synthetic oil.

Not true at all. Many manufacturers’ cars come from the factory with synthetic oil.

Myth 6: Using a synthetic oil voids a car’s warranty.

The only engines that specifically exclude the use of a synthetic motor oil are some Mazda rotary engines.

Myth 7: Synthetic oil can't be used with ethanol-containing fuels.

Many gas stations already supply fuels mixed with ethanol.

Myth 8: After-market oil additives are beneficial to your engine.

High-quality motor oils already contain carefully balanced additives for optimal performance.

Myth 9: Synthetics made from Group III base oils are not true synthetics and are not as good as PAO-based synthetics in Group IV.

Synthetics made from Group III oil can, in some cases, outperform those made in Group IV oils in some areas.



Penney Auto Body & Glass, Vancouver’s Auto Body Collision Repair Shop, is an expert in paint and body repair and cares about the welfare of your car and your personal safety. If you get involved in an automotive accident or you're a victim of a vehicle break-in or theft be sure to 
contact Penney Auto Body for your auto body, collision repair, and car painting services.

Image
Image

Contact Info

(604)322-6228

8225 Main St Vancouver
BC V5X3L7

Opening Hours

Mon. - Fri. 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM

Sat. 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM